Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Learning to Knit



For the past two months I have been struggling with something that is progressively getting worse. It seems to heal and then bam, it's as bad or worse. My hip. Its a burning sharp pain sensation that throbs in my hip and shoots down my leg to my pinkie toe which feels as if its on fire. I went to an orthopedist who explained I have bursitis caused by, probably, hiking. So the cure is rest or a cortisone shot. I declined the shot, and until recently I declined the rest. Now, If I am going to get well, I have to stay off of my feet. I also am examining my diet carefully and seeing if there are any supplements I should be taking. If anyone has any advice for me concerning this I would be appreciative. I am desperate. In the mean time while I lie on the sofa, I am teaching myself to knit.

The finished product from knitting is thinner and softer than crochet. To me it seems stretchier and has a nicer feel than crochet overall. This is the book I am using to learn to knit.
This is the book I bought to learn to crochet. I purchased it when we were evacuated to Maryland during Hurricane Katrina. I taught myself to crochet to occupy my mind and pass time. So what if it was a kids book! For learning, children's' instructional books are great. They tend to have larger drawings and break the steps down in language that is easy to understand. I find some instructional books assume that you understand certain things and you have to do research before you start! For my first crochet project I also used very large yarn and needle, so I could see exactly what was happening and how it worked.
I loved the large visuals.
Very simple step by step.

2 comments:

Egghead said...

You are so crafty. I also taught myself to crochet using a basic beginners book for children. I tried another adult beginner book and failed miserably. I still have trouble with tension but I think it is because I need to practice practice practice.

I am sorry about your bursitis. My father had it in his shoulder and never did really find much relief. I have had two back surgeries for herniated disks and all I know is when I begin to have that nerve pain down my legs I take Aleve before bed time and stop doing the things that aggravate my back and it slowly gets better. Not the same thing I know but it helps.

Tiffany said...

How did I miss this post?? Knitting is awesome! I'm a knitting slacker, have had a sweater I've been working on for Chanel for like 2 years now. I just have one sleeve to go since I picked it back up about a month ago. *blush*

Anyway, "Junior Knits" by Debbie Bliss. You have to get that book! I've made several of the sweaters out of it. Taught myself intarsia with this black and white celtic knot sweater for Xander. Love love love that book! It's right up there with "Sew What Skirts" and Ottobre for sewing and that says a lot! :D