Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Around the House and Garden

A view of the potager from the levee.
Round number two. Our long growing season in New Orleans allows for a second crop before the colder temps kick in. So today I planted six tomato plants, Henderson's Bush Lima beans (an heirloom), and purple hull peas (an old Southern staple). I have been trying to buy seeds that are heirlooms from the deep south. My burgundy okra. Little buds are beginning to form. So we'll have okra soon.
The eggplants I planted this spring are still doing just fine. They usually continue to bear until the first cold weather. I love to slice and fry them, spoon red sauce on top, and sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. That alone makes a wonderful meal. My sister gave me a recipe I am going to try. Slice the eggplant, sprinkle with Montreal grill seasoning and grill. Sounds yum to me.
Here is the Southern White Crookneck Cushaw Pumpkin. This one just keeps getting bigger and bigger. This is the only variety of pumpkin I planted that made it through the summer. It also was the only one from the south...so....maybe that's a hint to me.
This is a French Charentais melon. An old heirloom. It seems to be doing just fine here.
Here is a peek at the front garden. See the two tiny red dots. That is "naked ladies" or "hurricane lilies" about to bloom. They are called "naked ladies" because their foliage disappears in the summer to reappear after they bloom, and "hurricane lilies" because they bloom during hurricane season.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful! I'm antsy to plant my fall garden now, too. I don't know that we have long enough for another round of tomatoes, though. I just made eggplant parmesan for the first time this week -- yum-O!

meboo said...

Krisit,

Your garden is beautiful.

Melba

Egghead said...

You grow such a great variety. I just love coming here.