Monday, April 7, 2008

Irises and Newspaper Mulch

African Iris-I relocated this plant from the perennial border to the front garden and it is blooming it's little head off.
A Louisiana Iris I just purchased. "Glowlight"

Here is a pic of the newspapers scavenged from everyone. They are going to be the base layer of the mulch for the new front garden. Wednesday morning 55 rolls of pine straw will be delivered: 20 rolls for my brother, 10 for my mother, 10 for our church's garden and 15 rolls for me! This should be enough to mulch my entire new garden and some of the paths in the potager. Byron is working on my raised bed potager. He built one more new bed and has enough wood to build two more. The herb wheel will come next as well as pics.

4 comments:

Egghead said...

I have never tried this. I suppose that it keeps the weed down. The previous owners put black plastic down under all of the mulch and I just absolutely can't stand this. I have been pulling out miles of this stuff because of course it pops up each year from under the mulch. I think I will try this....I love your Louisiana Iris. Such a pretty color.

Tiffany said...

Do you all get your pine straw locally or order it from somewhere? I have no idea where to find it but found pics online and it's SOO pretty!

Kristi said...

I order it semi-locally. Pine trees do not grow well south of Lake Ponchatrain where I live. The provider I ordered from is in Mandeville on the north shore. Because of my business I can order large loads of it wholesale. Ask at any local garden nursery. They should be able to direct you. If there is a demand maybe they will begin to carry it. Also look it up on the internet. You might be able to find a wholesaler willing to sell it retail and deliver for a large enough order. A few friends might want to go in with you like we did.

Tiffany said...

I found a couple online but shipping is way expensive. We've got that Potomac Garden Center around the corner by the church so probably checking with them would be the thing to do. Thanks for the tip! :D