Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Knitting a Hat

Here it is! The finished hat. This isn't the gargantuan hat I started out making. Some where I miscalculated something and the hat looked large enough to fit King Kong. Then, being the impatient person I am, I just deducted how many stitches I thought was necessary and started a new hat unraveling the old. The new hat looked quite small. It turned out to be too tiny even for my youngest daughter. We all decided we should give it to my Sister's Munchkin. So I crocheted up a pretty blue flower and sewed it on with some bright pink yarn forming the eye of the flower. I must say, I'm pretty pleased.
This is my third attempt at making a sufficiently sized hat for my over sized yet not huge noggin . The pretty green, blue, and brown yarn on the side is wool and I am going to attempt to make a cute hat out of it once I get better at this!

I'm terrible at following directions, and tend to get impatient with tedious directions. I found this video very helpful and easy to follow.



7 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is some quick knittin'! Very very cute hat too! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Adorable hat!

Sandy said...

OK Girl ... here is an easy one:
gauge: 151/2 stitches to 4" using 16" size US 9 circular needle. Cast on 80 sts. Mark beginning or the rnd w/ marker ring. Work in Stockinette st until hat measures 6 1/2" from beginning. Decrease for crown as follows chng to dbl pted needles when necessary. Rnd 1 (K6,K2 tog) to end. Rnd 2 Knit. Rnd 3 (K5, K2 tog) to end. Rnd 4,5,6 and all remaining even # rounds: knit. Rnd 7 (K4, K2 tog) to end. Rnd 9 (K3, K2 tog) to end. Rnd 11 (K2, K2 tog) to end. Rnd 13 (K1, K2 tog) to end. Break yarn leaving 6" tail. draw tail through remaining sts with yarn needle and pull snuggly to close up hat. weave in ends. For woman size -- same style that you did in your picture.Enjoy! Sandy

Sandy said...

Looked at the video ... do you know how to use double pointed needles? You use 3 of them plus one for in your hand to decrease when the opening gets too small. (same as for knitting socks) This way you bypass all of those markers ... it's a lot easier. If you don't know how, let me know and I'll post it for you. -Sandy

Ginger said...

Thanks for the hat. Evangelyn has been wearing it all day. She looks so cute in it. Also thanks for the seeds I look forward to planting them this spring.

Egghead said...

That is a really cute little hat. I laughed out loud at the "Some where I miscalculated something and the hat looked large enough to fit King Kong" part. Sorry, I just had a vision of King Kong with that cute little hat on his noggin. Not pretty I might add. I love the video instructions. Maybe I will be able to learn to knit yet. You should open an Etsy shop and sell some of these cute little hats and your dish cloths.

Kristi said...

Sandy, Thanks for the pattern. I've never used double pointed needles, but I just bought some recently. I'm anxious to give it a try. It looks complicated, but then again so did knitting when I first seen it and I managed that! I'm going to try the hat.

Ginger, You're welcome! Give Evangeline a pinch and a kiss for me.

Egghead, That is a funny mental visual! He certainly couldn't star in a scary film in that hat!