Thursday, July 31, 2008

Around the House and Garden

This is why I plant river birches.
A southern heirloom crookneck white cushaw pumpkin.
My makeshift trellis to keep the melon vines off of the soggy ground. We've had rain rain rain and heat heat heat, so most of the plants are sulking. Not the melons. They seem to love it. I'll have to prepare better for trellising next year.
The only plants that love this weather--tropicals. Hibiscus and gingers.
A corner of my garden. Mexican sage is in the foreground. That's agave in the hidden urn. Shell ginger in the background which bloomed beautifully. I believe I posted a picture of it's bloom earlier this spring.

2 comments:

JeanSkirtGirl said...

I see you take good pic's!! I am glad that I got to see you take the pic of the butterfly =] love carmencita

Egghead said...

So do you use the peeling bark from the birch tree for anything? I have four birches as well and I love the bark that peels off.