Friday, July 25, 2008

Canning Fig Jam

8 lbs of Brown Turkey Figs
Canning tools.
The quartered figs with sugar, lemon juice, and water beginning to cook.
Jars being processed in boiling water.
Here's the harvest preserved!

Here's the basic recipe. If you want to learn to can, a wonderful simple book on the topic is the Ball Blue Book by Ball canning company. Canning is really pretty easy.

Fig Jam

Figs

1 cup of sugar for every pound of figs

about 1/4 cup of lemon juice for every 5 pounds of figs

about 3/4 cup of water for every 5 pounds of figs

Enough boiling water to cover figs

Enough sterilized jars and bands (for 8 lbs of figs I needed 2 qt jars and 11 pint jars)

New canning lids (place in a bowl of hot water)

Large pot of boiling water for water bath
Large pot for cooking figs

Wash figs and drain. Cover figs with boiling water. Let set for 10 minutes. Drain. Cut off stems off and quarter figs. Place quartered figs in large pot. Add sugar, water and lemon juice. Cook on high stirring constantly until mixture reaches gelling point (when mixture clumps or sheets as it drops from the spoon it is ready). The mixture will also get more difficult to stir. Reaching gelling point takes a long time. Turn off heat.

Fill jars one at a time leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Wipe rim clean put lid and band on jar. Set to side and fill next jar. When finished filling jars, place jars in pot of boiling water (enough water to cover tops of jars). Process jam filled jars in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. You will hear the tops "pop" as they seal. Yummy.

8 comments:

Egghead said...

Kristi I make jam every year, all kinds. I love cooked versus freezer jam always. I think it tastes better and certainly smells soooo good. I also use the Ball canning book. That is where I learned the basics of canning. I wonder who came up with the name turkey fig. Makes me smile.

Miss Riya said...

Looks like you've been having fun. Can you dry the figs and use them for the delicious Italian cookies you make at Christmas time?...hint..hint ;-p By the way have you been to anna's new blog? She has already added a new background since last night.

Miss Riya said...

Love your new pic it's marvy! ;-) I don't know why I suddenly got the urge to hug a tree.

Tiffany said...

Love the new pic! You look so cute and earthy! :D

Kristi said...

Thanks Miss Riya and Tiffany! Byron took this picture when we were visiting Mount Vernon the home of President George Washington in Virginia. (Isn't he one of the most amazing men ever?)

Tiffany said...

Oh wow I thought that was Monticello! I guess I need to brush up on my history just a wee bit. *blush* Monticello has a rotunda thingamajiggy though, doesn't it??

Betsy said...

Reguarding your commment, were you refering to Byron or George Washington as the amazing man?(I think you know my answer...hehe) Well anyway, like the new picture...like being introduced to the flock....and remember your friends and how much they admire your jams and butters......

The Youth Rally was really awesome....Brother Odom preached on Solomans Temple, I think your dad bought a cd of the message...

See Ya Tomorrow....


Betsy

JeanSkirtGirl said...

those fig's look good to eat save me some!! That's a great pic of you and the backgound!! love ya



love carmencita