Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New Potholders...What to do with...

...old stained ugly pot holders that still work? Once you've decided to live a principle, it's not always easy to stick to it. Numerous times I've walked past the kitchen aisle at Tuesday morning and picked up, held, put in the buggy, taken out of the buggy and put back up, brightly colored crisp new potholders.

But no I couldn't buy them, My old ones still worked. I had to stick to my promise. Do not buy anything unless we need it or for a very special occasion. In my defence, all but three of my pot holders I received as wedding presents almost 16 years ago! Purchasing a few trendy new pot holders wouldn't break the monthly budget.....but....I didn't NEEEEEEED them.

Take a look at these things though! Who would want to look at these every time a beautiful loaf of bread needs to be removed from the oven? It was getting a little depressing. So...
I had some bright squares of fabric left over from my Sister's baby shower decor.....and a little pink crochet thread left on a spool.....
a few pins and a pair of scissors....
a small steel crochet hook....and.....
no more depressing! Bright and adorable!

First cut two pieces of fabric 1/2 an inch larger than the pot holder. Place the potholder between the two pieces of fabric like a pillow case (pretty sides out). Then pin the potholder in place by pinning around the very edge of the potholder leaving an over hang. Trim the overhang even to about 1/4 of an inch.
Next using a small steel crochet hook, crochet around the edge with a contrasting cheerful colored thread. I've read that some people use their sewing machines to make the holes around the edge first before crocheting. (I'm either too impatient or to lazy to drag out my machine!) I just poke a hole in the fabric with the crochet hook as I go. It goes through most fabrics just fine.

If you don't crochet and would like to, don't be intimidated. The basics are very easy to learn. Get a kid's book on how to. The kid's books break it down in simple terms and usually have great drawings or pictures of how to. Or just go HERE to learn!

6 comments:

Betsy said...

sooo cute...where did you get uhh your....uhhh little talent?hehe

Anonymous said...

Just Perfect!!

Crunchy Momma said...

Oh! How cute! What a great idea!

Tiffany said...

What a cute idea! I would have just tossed them in a dye bath. I like your idea much better! Who woulda thunk a potholder could have a duvet cover! ;)

wvugrads said...

LOL! I just told my husband the other night that I had to get new potholders (this was as we were going to a potluck and I had to take a couple of my pathetic ones with me.) Great idea. I think I could even pull that off - as much of a newbie sewer that I am. I don't think I can do the crocheting. I tried to do the beaded socks for Julianna and just cannot get my stitches tight enough. :)

Sandy said...

adorable! mine are in the same camp as yours ... maybe older -- i had to laugh at the above comment about taking the sad potholders OUT OF THE HOUSE. Eeek! BTW ... we are going to take the plunge and get chickens -- hens only, and just six. How many do you have?