Thursday, December 11, 2008

Snow in Louisiana

It's true! It's snowing just north of us on the other side of lake Pontchartrain, and the reports are that it could snow here! The last time we had snow was four years ago. Which was very brief and only stayed for about a day. Everyone ran outside and made general fools of themselves.

I'll never forget 2004 Christmas day pulling onto the ferry ramp to get across the Mississippi River to the east bank to visit my parents. It was so creepy driving across the ramp onto the slick slippery snowy surface of the boat all the while eyeing up the small chain covering the opening on the opposite side of the boat that was supposed to keep me from going into the river if I began to slide. I was on the last load of just a few cars before they closed the ferry. Then the next summer we had Katrina. Everyone blamed the freaky Christmas snow of '04 for Katrina. "Oh no, We don't want no snow! Remember what happened last time we had snow?"

Of course it's the talk of all the news stations (this picture is from WRNO). The usual is happening when we get a bit of snow. People are giddy, excited, sliding off the road, wrecking their cars and cancelling school! That's all for this sprinkle of snow. Oh, I hope it snows here!!!!

Today is Tera's Christmas band concert. She plays trumpet and violin. So I have to go bake some cupcakes for the bake sale. Everyone demands that Tera bring cupcakes because they love the icing I put on them. Tera said all the girls lick the icing off and throw the cupcake away. Maybe I need to improve my cake recipe? But how do you improve a mix? Seleste is singing with the school choir at the Omni Royal in the French Quarter tomorrow. Then at breakfast with Santa at the school Saturday. Then at the Intercontinental Hotel Monday....yikes.

I still need to alter their Christmas dresses....wrap presents....I haven't even decorated yet....Maybe it's to late....I did decorate the church....drat...I can't go to the ladies party tonight....there's a concert.....but there is the Garden Club Party Saturday.....(smile smile smile)

Musical introduction...ta da da da.....It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!......

Are you ready?

8 comments:

Mwcraft said...

Here's how to improve a cake mix.

Don't us a box at all. Try this, it is delicious. For a Lemon cake leave out the vanilla and replace with fresh squeezed lemon juice.
My husband makes a lemon glaze for the top.

Natural Yellow Cake Mix
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups evaporated cane juice sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened

Natural Yellow Cake
1 recipe Natural Yellow Cake Mix (see above)
2 eggs
1 cup low-fat 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method
For the cake mix, put flours into the bowl of a food processor. Add sugar, baking powder and salt and process until blended. Cut butter into 4 or 5 chunks, then add to flour mixture and pulse until completely incorporated. Use cake mix immediately (see below) or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

For the yellow cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9- x 13-inch cake pan or two 8-inch round cake pans; set aside.

Transfer cake mix to large mixing bowl, then add eggs, milk and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium high and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Transfer batter to
prepared baking pan(s). For a 9- x 13-inch cake, bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done when tested with a toothpick. For two 8-inch cakes, baking time may shorten, so check after 25 to 35 minutes. Set cakes aside to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and set aside on wire racks to cool completely. Frost cakes, if desired.
Nutrition
Per serving (24 slices/42g-wt.): 150 calories (60 from fat), 7g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 20g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 2g protein

Kristi said...

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to my blog! Thanks for the recipe. I'll certainly try it. It's so nice to hear from you.

Kristi

Anonymous said...

Wow snow that far south! Does make it seem like Christmas-even if it does make everyone act wacky!

Egghead said...

Snow in Louisiana? I didn't think that ever happened. So now that you have tempted me with your story of the icing we need the recipe. Anyone who could make icing that the kids will lick off and throw the cake away must be super woman.

Crunchy Momma said...

Hi, Kristi! I love your blog! I miss the beautiful picture of you at the top however!
I use your homemade laundry soap and dishwasher dtg. all the time. Thank you!
Please post your icing recipe. And you can improve any mix cupcakes (at least from a kid's point of view) by throwing chocolate chips or sprinkles in it.
All the best and back to the cookies I am making.
Larae from Penn.

Sandy said...

I have a fab chocolate cake recipe ... and EASY. I'll post it. Also a great yellow cake. Anyway ... I think our climates got confused! WE are in the middle of a major rain storm - 3+ inches last night and 1-2 more today expected ... AND it's 55 degrees! Crazy. -Sandy

Kristi said...

Hi Larae, I love your name. It's nice to know you are there visiting my blog and enjoying it! Thank you.

Sandy, Can't wait for the recipe.

Crunchy Momma said...

Kristi, Thanks for the compliment and the icing recipe!
Best,
Larae