Monday, May 16, 2011

Homemade Italian Sausage and Pasta - Making Things Yourself

The girls helped me put together an Italian dinner of homemade pasta, homemade Italian sausage, squash, zucchini and onions, and salad.

I'm so loving learning to do things myself.  It's a lot of fun to make things that previously you thought...."I have to buy those things."  Not so. 

I enjoy watching my girls realize that some flour, salt and eggs from the backyard makes Pasta!   Pasta doesn't have to come in a plastic bag.  Talia rolled out the pasta, I cut, then she placed the noodles around the perimeter of a colander until we were ready to boil them.  They also can be dried and kept up to a week.  I've seen pictures of pasta drying on a dowel rack.  I'll have to rig something up!

Pasta:

Two cups of flour
1/2 tsp of salt
3 eggs plus one yolk
Mix together, roll out very thin, then cut into strips.
Hang to dry

Bring water with salt to a boil and drop noodles in.  Boil them to desired tenderness.
Tera chopping up the Romaine lettuce.  We served it with tomatoes, feta cheese, kalamata olives, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Striped zucchini and onions ready to chop.
I made the Italian sausage myself as well.  It tastes so much better when you make it, and it's cheaper as well.  Hey, I like that.
Italian Sausage


2 lb ground pork
1 Tbls Salt
1 Tbls Ground Fennel Seed (Start w/ Whole seed then grind fine)
1 1/2 Tbls Sweet Paprika
1 Tbls Finely minced Fresh Garlic
1 Tbls Sugar
1 tsp black pepper
3 Tbls red wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients well.

Making Italian Sausage meatballs.
Yummmmm.......

2 comments:

JeanSkirtGirl said...

look great! love carmencita

JeanSkirtGirl said...

look great! love carmencita