Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer Clean-up

It's that time in south Louisiana. Time to cut back all the irrepressible growth that threatens to smother out any semblance that there is a structured garden some where in there.

It will be warm well into the beginning of November and freezes, if there are any, usually take place in January. Cutting all of the shrubs and perennials back encourages them to put out another lush burst of growth providing a spectacular show for October. I do not cut back tropicals. They will do well the rest of the season and plush foliage helps protect them from any chance freezes.

I am now planting my cold season veggies: cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, greens, carrots, peas, garlic, onions etc...I'll also plant another row of green beans. A second crop of tomatoes were planted at the beginning of August. I also need to plant our cold season annuals: cosmos, bachelor buttons, calendula, nasturtiums, pansies, violets, and snapdragons.

Here's a picture of the beginning of the big cutback. I'm all done now! Whew!
The hurricane lilies are blooming. They bloom during the busiest part of hurricane season. No 'canes yet....fingers crossed.
Here is a picture of the path that was overgrown with dwarf ginger, liriope, and mondo grass. I began cleaning it out and uncovering the stepping stones that were smothered. Notice the agave to the right of the picture.....While digging up the wayward ginger, I levered the shovel down to pry up a clump......
....the pic below shows where the thick sharp thorny spine on the tip of the agave pierced my skin as I levered with the shovel. Luckily it barely missed my eye and glanced off of the edge of my eye socket. Maybe I need to wear eye protection when gardening! Who knew it could be so dangerous. I'm thankful anyway.......So get out there and get those gardens ready for fall! What are you doing to get ready for fall.

1 comment:

the canned quilter said...

I have to laugh as I have not heard anyone refer to hurricane lillies in years. My mother had them planted all over her yard around the bases of her pecan trees. You have brought back memories of home : )