Saturday, January 10, 2009

Compost Sifter

Aren't you jealous of my luscious magnificent compost? Mmmm Hmmm? You too can have rich dark compost for your garden. Just start with all those organic house, garden and yard scraps... add a compost corral....then.....
Have some crafty woodworking person you know build you one of these nifty compost sifters....
Pitch that clumpy decomposed organic matter right on top with a pitchfork....It's preferable to get a strong handsome man to perform this task....It's nicer to watch than have to do it.
Then sift away. I did help with this part using a small hand cultivator.
Then you have the best wormiest richest compost to spread all over the spring garden. Happy seed catalog reading! (I already have my seeds!!!!) Can't wait.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Me too!! (re: seeds) So fun and exciting! Gives us snow bound folks hope. -sandy

Miss Riya said...

He Knows No Winter
He knows no winter, he who loves the soil,
For, stormy days, when he is free from toil,
He plans his summer crops, selects his seeds
From bright-paged catalogues for garden needs.
When looking out upon frost-silvered fields,
He visualizes autumn's golden yields;
He sees in snow and sleet and icy rain
Precious moisture for his early grain;
He hears spring-heralds in the storm's' turmoil
He knows no winter, he who loves the soil.
~
~Sudie Stuart Hager~
~~~~~

Kristi said...

Thank you Miss Riya for that beautiful poem. I think I'll post it in my side bar.

La Gringa said...

Beautiful black gold! And that sifter looks just like the one I had. The termites and weather got the wood so I need another one now.

I love that bread photo. I haven't made Challah in a long time and that photo inspires me.

Egghead said...

I can't wait until the sun comes out and things begin to pop up through the soil.