Monday, January 5, 2009

First 2009 Harvest

Mixed Lettuce Greens: Vivian and Rosita Romaine lettuce, endive, arugula and oak leaf lettuce
A big basket of mixed greens: beet, curly mustard, carrot, green onion, Asian greens, and parsley. Habanero peppers, Cayenne peppers, five big drum head and Dutch Early Wakefield cabbages and the morning's gathering of eggs. The cabbage in the front has been munched on by some little critter. I believe a rabbit. The Dutch Early Wakefield cabbage has a pointed oval shape and is quite dense. The drumhead cabbage is flat and round and not as dense. After we eat them, I'll let you know how they taste.

I cooked the greens and we ate them Saturday with baked chicken and Sunday with pork chops and Byron brought them for lunch today. Talk about not wasting! My family loves greens. I have no problem getting them to eat them when I cook them this way. Of course the recipe varies according to what I have on hand, but generally the more varieties of greens you use the better it tastes.
And....oh yes...I bought the All American pressure cooker I've been wanting with the money I received for Christmas from mine and Byron's parents. I'm a bit scared of it and have read the manual through and probably will again before I use it. With all the stories my Mother-In-Law has told me of exploding pressure cookers......eeek. Then after this she tells me, "But don't worry about it. They're perfectly safe." Huh?

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh! I love my pressure cooker! And it's never blown up on me. ;) The stories that she is talking about are probably about the old ones. The new pressure cookers have safety features.

Tipper said...

I'm jealous of your bounty :)

Egghead said...

Sitting here in the cold and rain/snow I find it hard to comprehend that there is veggies growing somewhere. I love seeing this and you will love our pressure cooker. I think the old ones are the ones that used to blow sometimes. Keep us posted on your progress using it.

JeanSkirtGirl said...

Hey! Better wear A safety helmet. From Jenna and carmen love ya =]

Jo's Place said...

I love your blog. You take great pictures. The pressuer cooker is nothing to fear. After you use it the first time you will know this too. In my younger days I had one and I canned and canned and canned. I remember getting a red ribben at the county fair for my canned tomatoes. They looked beautiful in the jars. Good luck and enjoy your new canner.