Friday, May 17, 2013

Canning Grapefruit Juice and New Kitchen Cabinets

My Mom had a bumper crop of the sweetest most delicious grapefruit this year.  More than we could possibly eat.  She shared many of them, but still had bushels of them left.  For some reason most people think they don't like grapefruit and say "No thank you".  I'm convinced it's because they've never had Louisiana tree ripened grapefruit.

My Mom wasn't sure what to do with them and was scared they were going to spoil.  So....I decided to try and can grapefruit juice.  I do love grapefruit.  I also love grapefruit juice.....but this juice really surpasses any grapefruit juice I've ever drank from a commercial canner.

So if you live in a citrus area and can get your hands on a bunch of citrus you can jar it using the following recipe.  I've only canned grapefruit and lemon.  There's never too many oranges and you can always give those away.

Canned Citrus Juice

You need:  Citrus fruit, sugar, sterilized canning jars, canning lids, and bands.  Large pot for juice and canning pot

Juice your fruit
Strain fruit through cheese cloth or clean curtain sheers
Place strained juice in large pot
Add 1/2 cup of sugar to grapefruit juice (not lemon) for each 12 pints of juice
Bring juice to just under a boil and simmer for five minutes

Fill sterilized jars 1/2 inch from top.
Wipe rims
Place warmed lids (warm  in hot water) on top
Screw bands down snugly

Place jars in pot of hot water
Jars should be covered by 1 to 2 inches of water
Bring water to a boil
Once boiling time each batch for 10 minutes
Remove from water
Allow to cool
Listen for seals to pop closed
Keep any jars that do not seal properly in Fridge and drink right away.


This is what my kitchen looks like currently.  Getting new cabinets today!  Will post pic.

1 comment:

JeanSkirtGirl said...

I can't wait to see your cabinets !!! I well love to try your grapefruit juice :)love carmencita