Monday, May 3, 2010

Around The House and Gardens

There are promising signs in the garden. Just when the winter seems unbearable...spring breaks...and in just a few weeks the most luscious thick growth spills out....and it's just a joy to watch the dramatic changes day by day.

The pergola is partially finished. The swings are hung...and I must admit I have already "wasted" quite a bit of time enjoying the garden while sitting there until I catch myself dozing. Unbelievably relaxing...sigh.

Soon there will be a long bench across the back, a fire pit/coffee table, a candle chandelier and another row of rafters on the top. Byron also plans to put finishing trim along the top and bottom of the columns. A few bird houses and solar lighting should make up the details.

I recently planted quite a few varieties of peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant. You can see the lettuce seeding in the foreground and the beets. We are enjoying the yummiest sweetest beets.
In the back you can see the new trellises Byron made for the muscadine and the blackberries. Soon there will be a nice thick screen of them.
The garden plan includes nice views from every angle. To the left of the potager there is a quarter of an acre that has been planted with bald cypress, river birch, pears, camellias, spirea, mulberry, oaks, and bamboo. There are three mature pecan trees already there. The goal is to create a beautiful shady garden that is allowed to "grow up" with natives. A clearing will be cut every couple of months or so. Paths will be cut more often. There will be plenty of sitting areas to enjoy the wildlife and shade.
This is the view immediately to the left after stepping off of the front porch. I'm still removing some plants that died during the freeze.
Big juicy mulberries!
The chickens are quite miserable after the deluge we had last night. I'll have to get them some fresh hay. The fairy roses are covering the coop and are beginning to bloom. Soon it will be a cloud of pink.
Promising signs..... The giant bird of paradise that I thought had completely died has shown signs of growth from one of its smaller sprouts....
and to the thrill of my soul, my oldham giant bamboo is showing signs of life....Yeahhh!!!
But be careful where you step or drive.....
...the little snakes are out sunning themselves, and seem barely able to move when you approach them....
...I think this one I saw on the road (yes, and stopped to take a pic) is a blue swamp runner...
...These guys aren't poisonous, but the large cotton mouth I saw...shudder.....

6 comments:

the canned quilter said...

The gardens look wonderful. Do you not have a problem with snakes in your pinestraw mulch. When I lived in La I had to do away with my pinestraw because I kept finding snakes in it ! Love it though. It was so much better than wood mulch ....

meboo said...

Krisiti - your garden is gorgeous! I love love love the pergola and want Keith to build me one! The snakes I can do without - although I have to admit they do have a certain charm (just ask Jimmy). I'm just terrified of cotton mouths - they seem to be everywhere down here. The way that Ave loves to run through muddy ditches makes me shudder!

Unknown said...

Loved the posting today. Especially the mulberry branch and the snakes. I had two large mulberry trees that actually were planted in my neighbor's hard but extended over my yard nicely. I loved the taste of fresh mulberries. And snakes bring back memories of the snakes of bayou country when I was growing up. good job.

JeanSkirtGirl said...

WoW this is a little scary the snakes but nice pic's of it Love your graden It's look"s great Love carmencita =] I don't Like snakes!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristi,

You're gardens are beautiful and the mulberry pies look delicious!
I live about 12 miles north of Slidell (in Mississippi) and we have lots of blackberries over here but I don't recall ever seeing mulberries. Do they taste like blackberries and where can they be purchased?

Marsha

Kristi said...

Hi Canned Quilter and Heart Song!

Canned Quilter, I haven't found any snakes in the pine straw...but I have found skins. As long as they aren't poisonous I don't worry so much.

Heart Song,Mulberries are sweeter than black berries and do not have all the seeds. They are trees and get quite tall. They can be messy in high traffic areas (they stain like crazy...my chickens clean up any that falls) so are best planted on the outer edges of properties or away from human traffic....and um...birds drop purple you know what on your car instead of white! You can get them at Banting's nursery in Bridge City around here....But I bet you can grow them and get them easily where you are as well.

Kristi