Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mulberry Pie

My mulberry trees are loaded with mulberries Since I just planted them last year I'm surprised at the large amount. Especially the one near the chicken coop. It's at least twice the size of all the others. MmmmHmmm chicken manure makes great fertilizer....and great mulberries! This recipe is a modified blackberry pie recipe from one of my cookbooks, and wow, it is yummy!!! Recipe is at the bottom. Let me know if you try it.





Mulberry Pie
Ingredients:
2 pie crusts (I make mine homemade in the food processor with 2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 sticks of butter, teaspoon of salt, 5 tablespoons of water, blend butter, salt and flour, add enough water to make ball stick, put in fridge until firm enough to roll)
5 cups of mulberries
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (ground)
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup of sugar
butter
Combine all ingredients. Gently stir until well mixed and coated. Put filling in pie crust. Roll out 2nd pie crust and cover top of pie. Pinch down edges. Use knife to cut 7 to 8 evenly spaced slits in top of pie. Put sliver of butter in each slit. I like to use any spare crust dough to make a little decoration in the middle. If you brush the crust with egg white it will come out shiny. You can also sprinkle the top with coarse sugar to decorate after brushing with egg white.
Bake at 375 degrees for 1 to 1 hour and 15 minutes until top is golden and inside is bubbly. Let cool for 30 minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

JeanSkirtGirl said...

Look's great

Sophie Ren said...

ah I'm so hungry now...even though I don't know how mulberries taste...but I think they taste like awesomeness!!! >____<