Monday, August 19, 2013

Around the House and Gardens

My friend Beppi gave me these great pamphlets from the 40's and 50's on crocheting all those awesome doilies you see at garage sales, vintage shops and thrift stores.  Usually they're in pretty crummy condition or expensive.  With the help of the internet and tenacity I am teaching myself to crochet these crazy  feminine little things!  I am refraining from putting them on the arms and backs of the household seating.  I'm sure my husband appreciates!
 These books are in such perfect condition....but so fragile!  I have to be careful turning the pages.  I've thought about copying each pattern so I don't mess up the books.  I'd have to buy ink then....something I always forget of course until I need the printer.
 I did finish this doily.  It really is beautiful, but I brought it to Maryland and gave it to my sister NeeKee and totally forgot to take a finished pic.  Crocheting these old patterns is so much fun, and I feel like I'm channeling a little bit of what it must have been like during that time.  Pretty things were much more precious it seems.  My Mom told me my Grandmother had a friend make her a large table doily in the pineapple pattern for her table.
 So many of them.  I've started a Queen Ann's lace tablecloth since...It's coming along.....maybe pictures soon.
 We did take a little trip this summer....here is the girls walking down the path to the old Oliver homestead in Great Smokey Mountain National Park.
 There were thousands of these little butterflies everywhere!  I took this picture as we waited on the road for a stubborn bear to be removed by the rangers.
 These cute little barn swallows were timidly looking out at us.  Their mother was frantically flying around scolding us.
 Lovely
 When I got back the garden of course was a summer mess.....You don't want to see pics of that do you?  Here is a little of the bounty I've been picking.
 Here's some more....heirloom Cherokee corn and three different types of peppers:  Thai, Fish and Cayenne.  There's also cucumbers in the crock.  I'm hoping to make fermented pickles....we'll see!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I really miss reading posts on your blog! I hope all is well with you and your family.

Unknown said...

Just by surfing through blogs / http://awriter.org/freshessayscom sites, we can explore the wide world. Keep spirit to all bloggers.

Alex said...

Really nice information. Also I am glad to announced website 123 essay