Friday, March 15, 2013

My New Greenhouse

 
Here's a peek inside my new greenhouse.  This is heirloom tomatoes all lined up in a row.  They're waiting for the weather to be just right.  Then, I'll put them out in the garden.  It's warm enough that I am opening the vents on the greenhouse.  Although there was a little freeze about a week ago.  That's the problem with March....unpredictable!   There usually is a few more cold days here in March.
 
I am very happy with the greenhouse.  I got a small one...you know...making sure that I am going to like having a green house.  I'm happy to report.   I love my green house.  Love, love, love.
 
I am growing Pineapple, Cherokee, Brandywine, Cour Di Bue, Egg Yolk, and Amazon Chocolate tomatoes.  My favs are Pineapple (large, juicy, luscious and sweet) and egg yolk (small yellow (golf ball size) sweet, prolific and just keep on producing right through our heat, I also find they are more resistant to pests.) 

Shot's of the seedlings.
Artichoke
Large plants on the floor.
Here is how I grow my seedlings.  First I make small soil blocks (google them "soil block makers" you can buy them numerous places).  When the seeds sprout I make larger soil blocks with a indention that fits the smaller soil block.  Then I put the small soil block in the larger one.

I find this saves seeds, space and soil.
The small soil blocks are on the right the large ones on right already planted with sprouted small blocks.
A small sample of what I am still harvesting:  Carrots, cabbage, radishes, turnips, parsley, broccoli sprouts, green onion, Swiss chard, and collards.
 
Seeds to plant directly in the garden now (If you live in the New Orleans or Gulf Coast region):

cucumbers
melons (all kinds)
squash (all kinds)
beans (all kinds)
corn
potatoes
gourds
summer annuals:  morning glory, sunflowers, zinnias, marigolds
herbs:  basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, green onion, bay, mint
okra

Plant transplants of:
tomatoes
eggplant
peppers

Hmmmm....I think that's it.

Don't forget....you can plant small and bush varieties in pots!

3 comments:

JeanSkirtGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JeanSkirtGirl said...

Dear sister Kristi love love your new green house !!! Great pics thanks for the tips love carmencita :)��

Anonymous said...

We just planted our tomatoes in the ground. Working on planting everything else.

Ginger