Monday, August 8, 2011

School's Starting!

School's starting Wednesday so I've been sewing the girls new school skirts.  It's difficult to find modest uniform skirts that go below the knee...so my girls love to tell me what type of skirt they like and let me design it.  I have this wonderful book "Sew What! Skirts" by Francesca Denhartog & Carole Anne Camp.  It gives good and simple directions on how to create your own patterns for skirts using your specific measurements.  I use some old Christmas wrapping paper to make the patterns.  Then I write the girls name and date on their pattern and save it.
Here's a close up of my notes for Seleste.
We're both happy with the way it turned out!  One more to go for Seleste and two for Talia.  Talia's is going to be quite different....I'll post a pic.
Don't be afraid to try sewing if you want to learn!  I had no one to really teach me so....I just started reading and looking at how to videos on line.  I'll post some video links that really helped me soon.  Dive in girl!

How to make a serviceable but old book bag fun and new for the new year....Seleste's plan is to add a cute patch and wrap the back straps in zebra print duct tape...you go Seleste!

1 comment:

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

The skirt is beautiful, your doing a wonderful job. Sewing was my passion in my younger days..I have patterns dating back to 1960. I just can't seem to part with them...