Friday, July 30, 2010

It Always Looks Bad In July....

...but look a little closer. After a three week road trip my heart was missing my garden and my head was filled with what I was going to do when I got home.

Calls home were filled with bad news...Mom-In-Law,"Oh, your garden looks terrible....I had Victor cut back all the vines around the edges and it looks a little better....but nooothing and I mean nuhhh-thing is producing....you are going to be so disappointed......blah, blah...the buuuugs are sucking everything dry and the buuhhgs...blah, blah, etc..." Me, "Well, we're having fun."

When I did see the garden, I was wondering if I accidentally planted Kudzu instead of Asian Long beans, and the weeds had grown as aggressively as every. Upon closer inspection I did learn that it was indeed long beans not it's Asian cousin. They have taken over it's corner of the garden and really isn't producing anything. I'll give it a little more time....but the melons!

Melons love heat. All of the melons are doing great. There are a few eggplants developing, and the peppers are producing like crazy. I have bells, pimentos, and chilies. Some pumkin vines are growing nicely and should produce pumpkins in time for fall.

Here is Tera holding a huge banana melon she grew.

Moon and stars watermelon.
If you look a little closer among the weeds you'll discover...another banana melon that's just about ready.
Satska's sweet melon.
Oriental Silver Line....
Here is what the inside of the banana melon looked like. I think we picked it a little early. All the flesh that was orange was sweet....In the back ground you can see a few figs that were left.
So I cut the orange part off and gave the rest to the chickens.
Very cool and very yum ....just like that.

5 comments:

RusticGardens said...

WOW those are huge!!!!

JeanSkirtGirl said...

WoW u are right about the melon its big!! Love carmecait love the pic's and tera smile

meboo said...

I love that picture of Tera. She is getting to be so beautiful.

meboo said...

Let me rephrase that. She is beautiful!

Betsy said...

http://www.thesinglenester.com/2010/07/fried-zucchini-blossoms-flowers.html


Check out this recipe...ever heard of doing this?