Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I Miss Summer

Here is the damage. Quite a lot died. The confederate Jasmine, honeysuckle, agave, roses, iris, liriope, boxwood, windmill palm, and holly did just fine....but all the tropicals.....ack! I'm going to wait another month before cutting them back just in case we have any more freakish freezing spells. The dead leaves should help protect their roots from further damage.

Once I'm sure the coldest weather has passed the work will begin! First I'll cut anything dead back. All of that will go into the compost. Then I'll go a head and divide any perennials while everything is cut back. Next I'll keep an eye out to see what comes back from the roots. My garden was a little overcrowded anyway because I can't make up my mind and love every plant! So this winter weather will make those decisions for me.

If there are any bare spots, I'll plant some replacements and mulch the entire area with a truck load of pine needles....come on summer!

I included some pics from this summer for comparison. As far as the citrus goes, I lost all my lemons and limes. The oranges, grapefruit, kumquat, and satsumas seem to have made it through even though they're a little rough looking.





4 comments:

Miss Riya said...

I was tempted to cry the other day at your house, but then I remembered a famous quote from your favorite lady:
"Zip Zip Zip"

I know it will be back to splendid come summer.

~Me

Unknown said...

I sold my house in NOLA in late November. I think a bit about the palms, bird of paradise, jasmine, etc. After seeing your pics, I think I can imagine what the place looks like now. So sorry. Bought more mandarines today for kids. Paid 6.34 for 125 pieces of fruit. Not bad.

JeanSkirtGirl said...

I miss summer to love carmencita

Egghead said...

Oh that is sad but is exactly what lots of things look like here every winter. No fears. You will have it up and beautiful in no time.