Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Heritage Festival At Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

This past weekend Byron and I traveled to Virginia to attend the Heritage Festival at Thomas Jefferson's home Monticello.  I had been drooling over the advertisements in my Mother Earth magazine when Byron announced, "You want to go?  Let's go!"  Byron made it happen.   We drove straight to Asheville, NC.  The next day we took the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Charlottesville, VA. 

We had to travel up a little winding road called Township Road to get to the Parkway.  When we're looking for them we  never see them, but rounding the bend we saw a mother black bear and her two chubby cubs tussling in the roadway!  Even with my heart beating so fast I manage to get out my camera, stand through the sun roof, and shoot a few pictures!  This was a huge highlight in the trip for me!
The good little mama hurried her cubs into the brush and then stood on her hind legs bobbing slightly up and down and back and forth trying to figure out what we were up to.  Should she run or should she fight.  I was glad I was in a car and not on a bike at that moment!
Finally after winding up the mountain we arrived at the Parkway and headed north.
The parkway is a beautiful winding road.  You rarely can safely go over 40 miles per hour and often only 30 and 35.  So, you really must have time to do the whole thing.  I would like maybe to bike some of it one day.  There were hiking trails crisscrossing the Parkway and the Appalachian trail crossed several times as well.  I will do part or all of the Appalachian trail one day...Lord willin!!!
It was overcast and cold (43 degrees), but the views were still lovely!
We also saw a flock of wild turkeys!
....and highland cattle.  Byron loves cattle.  He quickly pulled over and snapped these shots.  Such funny beautiful critters.  They'd probably keel over and die with all that hair in Louisiana.
Cute!
After a while we realized at the pace we were going we'd reach Charlottesville after midnight, so we made our way back to the interstate.  On the way we saw this field full of drying tobacco.
The next day we went to the festival and started taking in the demos and classes.  We went to a vinegar making class....so I will be making vinegar maybe soon....there was so many things happening at once you couldn't possible take them all in .....so we did as much as possible!

We watched this sheep get sheared....He was all too happy to sit and let it happen.  Almost like a day at the spa....
There was this sweet lady who showed me how to make these awesome rugs from small scraps of fabric....
....I watched her spin for a while....pretty groovy.....
....I gazed at this beautiful cashmere goat for awhile....
...We took a tour of Thomas Jefferson's house....
....and a tour of the garden.  They try to grow as many varieties as possible the Thomas Jefferson grew.  All of those varieties are marked with a TJ.  I bought several varieties that he grew to try in my garden at home.  This is one of them...
...awesome caracalla bean.  The flower is a corkscrew shape!  There wasn't a dry pod left on the plant!  You could tell there was a bunch of gardeners walking around!  ...um ...I did look for one for myself....
This is Peter Hatch.  He gave the tour of the garden.  I had to pay extra to attend this tour....worth it...He has been the head gardener at Monticello since 1977.  His insight was fun and his knowledge of Thomas Jefferson's writings  and happenings at Monticello...which he gave with dates....was amazing.  His newest book will be out in April it is called "Revolutionary Garden".
Byron....Make me these!!!!
This huge old tree is growing on the front lawn of the house...sigh....majestic.
...I'll be sharing some pictures of my loot next!!!...there was a seed exchange!

2 comments:

Faith, Folklore, and Friends said...

Love, love it! I have been there twice but never during a festival...this goes on my list. I love everything about Montichello, but the vegetable garden is the best. I love the Parkway, but it isn't something one can do in a hurry. Thanks for posting.

JeanSkirtGirl said...

I am glad u had fun on your trip!! love carmencita